Department of M Pharmacy(Pharmaceutics & Pharmacology)
Pharmacy is an in demand, high paying profession. Only B. Pharm degree does not suffice the ever changing demand of pharmaceutical industry and pharmacy profession. Master’s degree or specialization in the field of pharmaceutical sciences is must for brighter future. Master of Pharmacy (M. Pharmacy) in India is offered as post graduate course after completion of B.Pharm. degree. The M. Pharma course is normally of two years duration. As per the new Credit Based System of PCI, it is two semester (one year) theory and practical examinations and two full semesters for research work. The course focuses on specialisation in the field of pharmacy. The programmes are intended to give an immersive professional experience and an opportunity to acquire further competence either in one’s own discipline. At YSPM’s YTC, Faculty of Pharmacy, we offer you full-fledged M. Pharm. course in to two important fields of pharmacy education.
We offer you full-fledged M. Pharm. course in two important fields of pharmacy education.
M Pharm Pharmaceutics (Sanctioned intake: 15 students)
M Pharm Pharmacology (Sanctioned intake: 10 students)
With successful completion of this program one can find suitable career in areas such as R & D, F & D, Production, Quality assurance, Regulatory affairs, Clinical research organisations and Academics in institutes as well as in Universities
M. Pharm. (Pharmaceutics)
M. Pharm, Master of Pharmacy is a two-year postgraduate program in pharmacy. Master program in Pharmaceutics was started in the year of 2012 with an intake of 15 students. The Department of Pharmaceutics is well equipped for both teaching and research activities. The major focus of the department’s post graduate program is to provide students with a strong focus and training to prepare them for careers in academia, pharmaceutical industry, or research institutions. These degree offerings are intended to meet the high demand for professionals with broad-based training in pharmaceutical sciences.
We offer a training environment that includes the latest formulation laboratory instrumentation and technologies supervised by experienced teachers and dedicated staff.
The focused research areas of the department are
- Preformulation studies,
- Development of different pharmaceutical dosage forms including novel and nanotechnology-based drug delivery systems,
- Evaluation of developed dosage forms with respect to various in vitro and in vivo parameters and
- Studying the biopharmaceutical and pharmacokinetic aspects of the drug as well as its dosage forms.
A several research articles are published in reputed journals every year. The department has evident its importance in research activities and involved in IPR publications, granting process in the area of drug delivery.
M. Pharm. (Pharmacology)
The discipline of pharmacology deals with the study of drug’s mechanism of action, therapeutic effects, adverse effects, drug interactions etc. The Department of Pharmacology provides a vibrant and dynamic environment for conducting high quality research and teaching. Students enrolled in undergraduate degree are taught by the department in all the four years of their study. The knowledge derive from pharmacology can be used in “Pharmacy” to achieve optimal therapeutic outcome through preparation of appropriate formulation and dispensing of medicine.
The department has well established animal house giving all the necessary care & facilities for hygienic housing of laboratory animals like Wistar rats, albino mice, guinea pigs etc. required for preclinical experiments. The research laboratory is well equipped with latest sophisticated instruments like digital video tracking system, copulatory arena, digital plethysmometer, clinical biochemical analyser, digital catalepsy bar apparatus, digital actophotometer, rota-rod apparatus, mazes (elevated plus maze, Y maze, radial arm maze), electric convulsometer, digital analgesiometer, with other routinely required instruments like digital student's organ bath and Kymograph etc, to give hands on experience in preclinical studies to the students.
The major research areas of department include preclinical screening compounds for various activities like toxicological, neuropsychological, behavioral studies etc. The department has more than 50 research publications in national and international peer reviewed journals.
The scope of pharmacological training opens a wide range of employment opportunities to the pharmacy students in hospital and clinical pharmacy, academia, industry and government organization etc.
Overview of Post Graduate Department
Our mission is to nurture students with high quality education by providing state of the art learning environment and relevant exposure towards industry and R&D organization.
Course Name: Master of Pharmacy (M. PHARM.)
Master of Pharmacy (M. Pharm) is offered as post graduate course after completion of B. Pharm. degree. The course focuses on specialization in the field of pharmacy. The college currently has M. Pharmacy course with two specialization subjects, Pharmaceutics & Pharmacology
The Master of Pharmacy (M. Pharm.) degree course shall be of two years duration.
Admissions to the Course shall be made as per the admission rules made by Govt. of Maharashtra from time to time as per the eligibility criterion mentioned.
Affiliations: Affiliated to Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Technological University, Lonere.
Medium of Instruction: The medium of instruction is only in English. The course material is also in English.
Strength of Department
The program provides various opportunities to the students to participate in R & D projects and to develop the research skills. As college has CPCSEA approved Animal house facility, the M. Pharm. students also get exposure to work on the projects consisting of In-vivo animal studies.
Following are the thrust areas of research in Pharmaceutics
Development and evaluation of -
- Multi-particulate Drug Delivery Systems
- Sustained Release Dosage Forms
- Immediate-release dosage forms
- Ocular Drug Delivery Systems
- Transdermal Drug Delivery Systems
- Semisolid dosage forms
- Quality by design approach in formulation development
- Nanopharmaceuticals (nanoparticles, Polymeric micelles, SNEDDs, solid lipid nanoparticles, etc).
Following are the thrust areas of research in Pharmacology
- The activities of the department of Pharmacology are to understand, describe and teach the therapeutic actions as well as side effects of medicines in Human. The department trains the future health care professionals and qualified persons for pharmaceutical research.
- Demonstration of pharmacological activity in an animal for the justification of testing the drug in man.
- The Pharmacotoxicology Laboratory mainly conducts drug and toxic research.
- The Experimental Pharmacology Laboratory is able to perform studies on isolated organs (bronchial reactivity), in vitro studies (platelet aggregation, tissue fixation of medicines), whole animal studies (plethysmography, experimental thrombosis, obese or diabetic rat models), as well as the development and undertaking of drug quantification.
- Assessment of the adverse drug reactions reports
- Conducts research studies on methodology in pharmacovigilance, on the nature and mechanisms of adverse drug reactions